Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Trial By Fire-Johnny Craig-1966


Back in the '80s, I was getting Russ Cochran's EC volumes on a regular basis. I was already a fan of Wood, Davis, Elder, Severin and Kurtzman and I had always been rather indifferent to Kamen and Ingels. To me, the revelation was Johnny Craig! This guy was GOOD! The ultimate noir artist, Craig's work turned up again pseudonymously at Warren in the '60s (as seen here), briefly at DC on BRAVE & THE BOLD and then at IRON MAN for a memorable early run, but that seemed to be it. Sigh...Thist guy--as I said--was GOOD! 






1 comment:

Smurfswacker said...

I ran into Craig for the first time in an odd paperback called "Christopher Lee's Tales of Terror." It was a collection of comics adaptations of spooky stories. Craig did a dynamite adaptation of Kipling's "Mark of the Beast." From later articles I gather Craig had a hand in packaging the book. Its contents later appeared (and reappeared and reappeared) in Warren mags.